Canadian Firearms Safety Course
Anyone wishing to possess a firearm in Canada must have a valid Possession and Acquisition License (PAL). We offer a one day Non-Restricted course and a one-day Restricted course taught by our veteran instructors who will teach you:
- the evolution of firearms, major parts, types and actions;
- basic firearms safety practices;
- operating firearm actions;
- safe handling and carry procedures;
- firing techniques and procedures;
- care of non-restricted firearms;
- responsibilities of the firearms owner/user; and
- safe storage, display, transportation and handling of non-restricted firearms.
We keep our class sizes small so you will have plenty of one on one time with our instructor to give you the confidence you need to succeed.
The combined course fee is $295 (both, 2 days), or $195 for non-restricted (1 day) and $150 for restricted (1 day) and paperback copy of the Canadian Safety Firearms Course handbook.
What do I need to know?
Before the class:
- study, study, study - read the provided handbooks
- jot down any questions you may have and our instructor will be sure to answer them during the class
- memorize ACTS and PROVE (see below)
Day of the class:
- bring photo id such as a drivers license or passport
- come prepared and rested
- you will receive classroom training on the studied handbooks
- there will be plenty of hands on practice with real firearms
- at the end of your training you will have two written and two practical exams to complete
After the class:
- Provided you successfully completed your training, you'll be offered a $150 credit toward a membership at our range.
- Get involved. No matter if you become a sport shooter or hunter you are now ready to practise your skills.
To signup for a course you will need to drop by the range to pick up your handbooks and pay for your registration. Check out our schedule for course dates.
Custom course dates can be organized for groups of six or more.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What time does the course start?
The course starts at 9:00am. Non-Restricted is up to 8 hours of instruction, and Restricted is up to 6 hours of instruction.
- What happens if I fail the course?
You need to book a re-test for $99, please call the store for available times.
- What is the minimum age requirement?
You must be 18 years of age. Under 18 may take the course with the approval of a parent or guardian.
- What is the cancelation policy?
Cancellations require 72 hours notice to reschedule for another day. Sorry, no refunds.
- Can I take only the Restricted course?
You are required to take the Non-Restricted course before you can take the Restricted course.
Remember to study ACTS and PROVE
- Assume every firearm is loaded.
- Control the muzzle direction at all times.
- Trigger finger must be kept off the trigger and out of the trigger guard.
- See that the firearm is unloaded - PROVE it safe.
- Point the firearm in the safest available direction.
- Remove all ammunition.
- Observe the chamber.
- Verify the feeding path.
- Examine the bore.
For more information, please email email@example.com.